There are a variety of ways students can make-up credits or acceleration for graduation. Before beginning any outside make-up packet or course, the student should meet with their counselor to insure that the course will fulfill graduation requirements and to discuss all options.
Most common ways to earn credits outside of normal school hours:
- Riverton High On-line Credit Recovery (For Make-Up Credit Only): We have on-line credit recovery classes for most of the courses required for graduation. On-line credit recovery costs $35 per .25 credits. These courses are available to students from mid September until the end of April. Credit Recovery courses do not carry over into the Summer. Students must see their counselor for a referral before they may begin an on-line credit recovery course.
- Valley High Summer School (For Make-Up Credit Only): Valley Summer School is available for all of the courses required for graduation. The cost is $45 for registration *plus* $35 for each .25 credit course that is taken. There is a session that runs in June and another session in July. Classes run for 14 days for an hour for each quarter credit that is being made up. Attendance is critical! Students will be failed on the second absence. 2015 Summer School Dates & Info
- Utah Students Connect: Utah Students Connect is a credit acceleration and credit recovery program that is made up of a consortium of six school districts. Students must sign up with their counselor in order to take any of the courses being offered.
- BYU Independent Study: BYU Independent Study is a program that offers courses which can be used for make-up credit or for original credit. There courses all award .5 credits. Most classes cost $156 dollars for each .5 credit course. There are some best value courses that can be taken for elective credit that cost $56 dollars for a .5 credit course. BYU Independent Study Courses require a proctored test. Test can be taken for free on the BYU Campus.
- Northridge Learning Center: Northridge Learning Center is a private company who offers packets for make-up credit and original credit that align with the Utah State Core. Their packets cost $60 per quarter credit. Packets are available throughout the year. Their closest office is located at 3652 W. 9800 S. in South Jordan, phone: 801-280-7760.
- USTAR: USTAR classes are available for acceleration and make-up credit during the Summer through the Jordan School District. These classes are free and are in the areas of science, math, robotics and computer programming. Please see you counselor for more details. (Registration Password: jordan)
- Granite Testing Center: The Granite Testing Center offers students an opportunity to take tests for credits. You must call them for an appointment at 1-385-646-6042. There is also an application that must be signed by a parent and your school counselor.